Hey! You're looking at the archive of the UFF forums. Our new message board is at http://www.mognetcentral.com. Please join us!
Ok, Here we go. - Page 3088 - UFF Network Forums Home The Photo Album Contact Us Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy
UFF Network Forums
Hey! You're looking at the archive of the UFF forums. Our new message board is at http://www.mognetcentral.com. Please join us!

Go Back   UFF Network Forums > Chat Forums > The Asylum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 3.20 average. Display Modes
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:52 AM   #46306
xiami

lol
xiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:41 AM   #46307
Jon
Puzzled?
2ND COMING.1HC4

Send a message via MSN to Jon
I actually like the draw system in ff8
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:52 AM   #46308
Sioux

Send a message via AIM to Sioux Send a message via MSN to Sioux Send a message via Skype™ to Sioux
Agreed.

I always liked the Junction system with it's using and drawing of Magic more then most of the other systems in the entire FF franchise.

The Materia system felt like it was slow grinding work. The ability stones from FF IX were decent but, I still enjoyed Junction more. The Sphere Grid was just all over the place and required to be most efficient too much work then was worth it especially in the American version.

The Junction system was just fun. You had control over all of it and the monsters in the game were always with you in levels so high level magics for customization and use were never far off. If you knew how to incapacitate certain enemies and knew the proper procedure for drawing magic then the whole experience is fantastic.

Though, I must say the Job System from Tactics and FF XII's Chain systems are close seconds.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:19 PM   #46309
Phoenix

Send a message via AIM to Phoenix
The one thing that I didn't like about 8 was that it was 1000exp a level, throughout the whole game. So like, by the time you finished the third disk you were like level 20, and by the time you finished the 4th (if you did all the side quests) you could easily be 80. Bit of a mismatch in power.

And ooh, a professor from the multiscale thermal fluids laboratory is interested in working with me. Excitement!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:56 PM   #46310
Tallulah

Send a message via MSN to Tallulah
I could never get into Tactics. Sad because I bought the PSP Special Edition and everything.

Final Fantasy VIII is a good little game, but it is easy to break. Level up enough in Disc 1 (it takes a lot of time and BUTTLOADS of patience) and you can be level 60-80 with level 3 spells junctioned to your attributes.

I wish I had the time and patience to do that. My English copy doesn't work so I have to play it in French. Fail.

Thanks to Aether for the Kadaj set!

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, you'll have the time of your life! ~ Billy Connolly

Who wants to live forever? Who dares to love forever... when love must die? ~ Freddie Mercury
Tallulah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:51 PM   #46311
BZero
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to BZero Send a message via MSN to BZero
FFVIII is indeed easy to break, but mostly because of the limit break system IMO. Just keep Squall at low HP all the time and you'll be doing Renzokukens every round. When he dies, just revive him, but don't heal. Of course, after you get access to Auras it gets even easier.

And it doesn't take that much time to get game-breaking stats through junctioning on disc 1, but you have to know what to do, and most people wouldn't figure that out without a walkthrough on their first playthrough.

Also, leveling up in FFVIII is pretty pointless, isn't it? In fact, wouldn't the game be easier if you never leveled up at all (and just got the spells you need for junctioning with other methods than drawing)?

...Wait, are we actually talking about Final Fantasy on this Final Fantasy-based website now?

Edit: Best local commercial ever.

Last edited by BZero; Sep 15, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
BZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:14 PM   #46312
Frei

Send a message via MSN to Frei Send a message via Skype™ to Frei
Why would you EVER want to grind levels in FFVIII? there is literally zero point.

Step 1: Go outside
Step 2: Draw
Step 3-1000: Draw
Step 1001: Junction, become invincible, break game completely.

I like the draw system, it's fun and hilarious, but the plot is complete shit and so full of holes that it falls apart if you poke it with a blunt stick.

And the characters are goddamn horrible for the most part. Except Laguna, he made things bearable. Irvine is OK but dumb as a rock, damn. Zell is the worst character in anything ever.
Frei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:20 PM   #46313
Tallulah

Send a message via MSN to Tallulah
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZero View Post

...Wait, are we actually talking about Final Fantasy on this Final Fantasy-based website now?
[/URL]
Surely not!?

Ah, Drawing, or as I like to call it, the Bane of Spoony.

He was pretty picky, but the review is so funny.

Thanks to Aether for the Kadaj set!

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, you'll have the time of your life! ~ Billy Connolly

Who wants to live forever? Who dares to love forever... when love must die? ~ Freddie Mercury
Tallulah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:57 PM   #46314
Wingly
Death, the First Dancing Turtle

That brought back so many memories of pain. Thank God for streamlining and shorter games. Now that I'm a grown up I can see why people don't always play long games anymore.

And I want to wake up next to Chuck Testa. A man amongst men.
But yes, I fully acknowledge that I can never be as qualified as you at anything. You are indeed a God among men, and for anyone to even suggest that they are better than you at anything, would be downright blasphemous.
Wingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:04 PM   #46315
Frei

Long games are the best games though. I want my games to occupy me for months! Still on my first-ever run of Fallout New Vegas because I just can't bring myself to finish it. There's still STUFF to do!!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:37 PM   #46316
Sioux

Send a message via AIM to Sioux Send a message via MSN to Sioux Send a message via Skype™ to Sioux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Jones
I could never get into Tactics. Sad because I bought the PSP Special Edition and everything.
If not for the fact that it is probably PAL I would so actually be up for buying that off you.

Quote:
Also, leveling up in FFVIII is pretty pointless, isn't it? In fact, wouldn't the game be easier if you never leveled up at all (and just got the spells you need for junctioning with other methods than drawing)?
Agreed. I came to that conclusion back when I was first slogging through it but, I fell in love with the process of drawing. I liked going back and stock piling spells for putting on the junction and learning how to incapacitate certain enemies to get the maximum amount of spells per draw. It was a lovely zen science for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frei
Why would you EVER want to grind levels in FFVIII? there is literally zero point.
The monsters get stronger magic for drawing and you get to see a progression in power and ability. Why would you EVER not want to grind levels in FF VIII?

Quote:
...Zell is the worst character in anything ever.
You and Me, We are done professionally.

I seem to be the only one on the internet I guess that found Drawing to be relaxing. I loved it. I made it an art. I liked slowly breaking the game and bending it to my will as I collected all the side items and bonus stuff. It makes life a whole lot easier when you get to that point right before you fight ol' Adel.

But, I don't think FF VIII is going to have any love here. I am sorry I brought it up.

Here's a subject, Dogs. Go.

Last edited by Sioux; Sep 15, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:45 PM   #46317
Wingly
Death, the First Dancing Turtle

PUGS ARE SO DUMB AND COOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFAy84Pesb0

HAHAHAHAHAH!
But yes, I fully acknowledge that I can never be as qualified as you at anything. You are indeed a God among men, and for anyone to even suggest that they are better than you at anything, would be downright blasphemous.
Wingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:46 PM   #46318
Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
The monsters get stronger magic for drawing and you get to see a progression in power and ability. Why would EVER not want to grind levels in FF VIII?
It's completely unnecessary. Once you get Card you have all the magic you'll ever want at your fingertips. Card, refine, junction. Grinding is boring and pointless. You get the "progression in power and ability" naturally without needing to force yourself to high levels to do it. One of the game's only selling points for me is that you DON'T need to spend hours fighting menial enemies to progress.

Quote:
You and Me, We are done professionally.

I seem to be the only one on the internet I guess that found Drawing to be relaxing. I loved it. I made it an art. I liked slowly breaking the game and bending it to my will as I collected all the side items and bonus stuff. It makes life a whole lot easier when you get to that point right before you fight ol' Adel.

But, I don't think FF VIII is going to have any love here. I am sorry I brought it up.
Oh don't get pissy because we're debating instead of blindly adoring the game. You like it, I don't, so what? It's got its moments, I like Laguna and Ultimecia's Castle is a great final dungeon, but in my opinion (bolded for emphasis) it's a pretty poor game.

And Zell is annoying and boring and completely unlikeable in every way. IN MY OPINION.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:47 PM   #46319
Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingly View Post
PUGS ARE SO DUMB AND COOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFAy84Pesb0

HAHAHAHAHAH!
I thought this was going to be "Pug stuck in the toilet" and pre-emptively laughed my ass off remembering it. What did you do Maggie?! Pugs are the best. :3
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:53 PM   #46320
Sioux

Quote:
It's completely unnecessary. Once you get Card you have all the magic you'll ever want at your fingertips. Card, refine, junction. Grinding is boring and pointless. You get the "progression in power and ability" naturally without needing to force yourself to high levels to do it. One of the game's only selling points for me is that you DON'T need to spend hours fighting menial enemies to progress.
I guess me being an artist and wanting to experience my games is the difference.

Quote:
Oh don't get pissy because we're debating instead of blindly adoring the game. You like it, I don't, so what? It's got its moments, I like Laguna and Ultimecia's Castle is a great final dungeon, but in my opinion (bolded for emphasis) it's a pretty poor game.

And Zell is annoying and boring and completely unlikeable in every way. IN MY OPINION.
Oh I don't have a problem with you not liking the game. You don't like Zell. I like Zell being of a martial nature myself. We're done. Moving on.